LinguistNow Chat allows you to converse in real-time with customers who speak a different language. All incoming and outgoing messages are automatically translated. The add-in replicates a variety of OSC features, such as undocking, standard text, font resizing, and variables. It also adds new features, such as language color-coding, custom language locales, and a special incident which displays all translated and untranslated messages.
Here's how it works:
1. Say you receive a chat. You can tell from the interface listed (in this case opn_languageio_de) that the customer is speaking a different language. Navigate to the "LinguistNow Chat" tab and load the add-in.
2. The LinguistNow Chat add-in will automatically translate any messages from the customer that have already been received. The customer and agent languages are displayed in different colors for easier reading. These colors can be changed by the agent (shown in step #14).
3. To reply to the message in your native language, simply type the message and click "Send" as you usually would, making sure that the "Translate" option is checked.
4. The message will be translated in real-time and both versions of the message will automatically display in the transcript portion. As you can see, you can use OSC variables (in this example, $contacts.name.first) and they will be automatically replaced with their proper values in the translation.
5. If you have content which does not need to be translated, or is already translated, you can send it without changing back to the "Engagement" tab - simply uncheck the "Translate" option before clicking "Send".
6. The font size can be changed using the "plus" and "minus" buttons for easier reading.
7. The add-in can also be undocked into a separate window and resized, moved to another monitor, etc.
8. As in the "Engagement" tab, Standard Text can be accessed in two ways: one option is to use "F8" to display the Standard Text Hotkey popup, which allows you to insert Standard Text using predefined shortcuts from OSC. You can also preview and add Standard Text by clicking the "Standard Text" button and selecting the appropriate text from the menu at the left.
9. If you would like to view the conversation from the perspective of the customer, you can switch back to the "Engagement" tab at any time and only the customer-language messages will be visible.
10. After the conversation has ended, most functionality will be disabled, but the agent will still be able to scroll through the transcript and view previous messages.
11. After closing the conversation, the incident created by OSC will display only the messages that were seen by the customer - i.e., the messages in the customer's language. To see the translations of these messages, navigate to the "Related Incidents" tab in the Incident workspace. Then select the LinguistNow created Incident. If there are multiple related incidents, you will be able to distinguish it because it has a LinguistNow Status of "Translated Chat Conversation".
12. Depending on the LinguistNow settings particular to your site, you will be able to view the fully-translated conversation either in LinguistNow Response, or as private notes (see step #14). If you view the conversation as private notes, all internal messages (those in the agent's language) will appear as private notes, and the conversation as viewed by the customer will appear as Customer and Response messages.
13. Even if you do not have alternate-language interfaces installed on your OSC site, you can still use LinguistNow Chat! After we have set up the languages you need, the customer will be able to select their language from a drop-down menu in the chat launch page (see step #14). If they fail to do this, you will be able to select the appropriate customer language after receiving the chat, before loading the add-in.
14. Various settings can be changed in the Server Configuration Properties. Use any valid hexadecimal color for the agent and customer language message colors. For OSC language interfaces, IncidentLocaleField should be set to "default"; for custom locales, it should be set to "LinguistNowLocale" (this field should be configured by your LinguistNow Representative; contact us if you do not know which value you should use or if your translations fail). If you do not have LinguistNow Response installed, check "SaveMessagesAsPrivateNotes" to view the translated messages in the LinguistNow Incident after terminating the chat.